Thursday, August 30, 2012

Buses Make Me Nervous

As a Midwestern girl, I'm used to driving to anywhere and everywhere more than a block away. You're more likely to drive around sitting in the back of a pickup truck than taking a bus. And no, this doesn't make us lazy. Lots of people just happen to love their pickups. How else are you supposed to show off that rust? If you don't happen to have a sweet ride like that, you can always find some more unique solutions. After all, I even know someone who has a dog sled! Not like the Iditarod ones. We've never had to brave the Great White North to deliver medicines to animated children.

Truthfully, before visiting Europe, I'd never used a city bus. I'd been forced to endure many trips in school buses over the years to visit the city art and natural history museums in elementary school. I'd gotten the impression that all buses were sticky, germy, and likely to take 300% longer than driving. Travel forced me to confront these criticisms. After a few weeks of daily rides, I began to feel like somewhat of a bus savant. So, I've decided it's time to spread my new-found aptitudes. I've created a schedule to some awesome places we'd all love to visit to aid in passing on this knowledge.


Wasn't that schedule just lovely? It's based on the schedules I saw throughout all of central Europe. I'm sure you can figure it out, so pop quiz!

Bountiful Bus Bewilderment
1. How long can you expect it to take to go from Nowhere to Hogwarts?
a. 0 minutes - we can all apparate anyway
b. 12 minutes
c. 2 days
d. Hogwarts isn't real....is it?

2. What number bus is going to show up at this stop?
a. e
b. 4
c. chair
d. pi

3. It's 4:07 pm, what time is the next bus going to arrive?
a. 4:10
b. what's 21 o'clock?
c. um.....soon?
d. yesterday

4. You're travelling with a person in a wheelchair and they'd like to use a bus with a low floor. Should you take the 6:00 or 6:30 bus?
a. 6:00
b. 6:30
c. this is obviously a trick question, neither
d. I'm sick of this quiz

Congratulations! You made it through. Let's see how you did. Here are the correct answers.
1. b (though I am willing to accept a, that would be sweet)
2. d (I hope you understood why "e" was included, clue think math)
3. a
4. b (I wouldn't be mean enough to give a trick question)

If you got all four correct, hooray. You owned that quiz. I certify you to be an "Official Un-Ugly American Tourist of Bus Usage". Here's your prize.


If you didn't get them all, tsk tsk. No gold oval for you. You might want to work on that because the rest of us are heading off to Santa's Workshop without you.

Until next time, God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment